Where can I find information about Fiji?
Entry last updated: 29/01/20
Fiji is a country in the South Pacific. With more than 300 islands, Fiji is a popular tourist destination. This entry includes some great websites that have facts and information about the history, people and culture of Fiji.
Facts and pictures
This is a reputable news website that has great information about Fiji.
- Entering the keyword 'Fiji' into the search box will bring up a list of results.
- Select the result that says Profile, like Fiji profile.
Tips: Search words, or keywords, are the most important words in our question. Usually it’s better to leave out small words like ‘the’, ‘a’ and ‘of’ and just choose the main ones, e.g [Fiji]. We can always change our keywords or add more if we need to.
National Geographic is known for its illustrated magazine and the website has a good range of images and videos of many countries.
- Entering 'Fiji' into the search box will bring up a long list of results.
- From here you can choose Photography to view photos and pictures.
- You can also choose Television to find video clips.
Tips: Websites that have .com or .co in the address can have good information, but you need to assess how reliable it is. Check the About us link on the website, if you can find one. That can tell you what the company’s mission and values are.
This is one of the EPIC resources. EPIC is a collection of reliable databases covering lots of different topics. It’s put together especially for New Zealand school students and helps to answer questions like this.
- Choose the Primary level and put in your keyword 'Fiji' to bring up a list of results.
- In your results the Fiji (island country in the Pacific Ocean) entry provides an excellent overview of life in Fiji.
Tips: To get to the EPIC resources you will need a password from your school librarian first. Or you can chat with one of our AnyQuestions librarians between 1 and 6pm Monday to Friday and they will help you online. Some EPIC databases may also be available through your public library.
This site will help provide an overview of the Fijian culture.
- Entering 'Fiji' in the search box brings up a good list of results.
- This will bring up the Culture of Fiji entry, which includes details of food in Fiji and also social structure.
Tips: Some websites have advertisements (or ads) which ask us to buy something or tell us to ‘click here’. It’s best to ignore these ads and focus on the information we’re looking for.
New Zealand Connection
Although this is an excellent starting point for all questions about New Zealand Aotearoa, you will also find useful information relating to the Pacific Islands including Fiji. If we scroll down to the bottom of the page we can see that the website belongs to the Ministry for Culture & Heritage, so the information is well-researched and reliable.
- Go to Stories and select the letter F.
- Select Fijians.
You can choose from a number of topics here, and remember to look at the External links and sources for other suggested resources.
This site will help with understanding about New Zealand's relationship with the Pacific Islands, including Fiji.
- select 'Fiji' on the country listing below the map to find more information.
Tips: We like sites that are from government or other reputable organisations, because we can trust the information. You can sometimes tell these sites by their web address – they might have .gov or .edu in their address – or by looking at their About us or Contact pages.
There have been many books written about Fiji - check out your local public or school library to see what they have.
Some recommended titles are:
SCIS no: 1892817