Where can I find information about Matariki?
Entry last updated: 31/05/21
Matariki is the Māori name for the star cluster also known as the Pleiades or Seven Sisters. The Matariki cluster can be seen in the sky near the end of June. It marks the beginning of the Māori New Year.
The best place to look for information about Matariki is on New Zealand websites.
Te Ara is a great starting point for all questions about New Zealand Aotearoa.
- Type the word 'Matariki' into the search box at the top of the page.
- Look for the story called Matariki: Māori New Year to read about this New Zealand festival.
We like sites like this because they’re reliable. You can tell because of their web address – they have .govt, meaning they are from government. They’re also New Zealand sites, so relevant for us.
The Christchurch City Libraries website has lots of pages of information on popular New Zealand topics such as Matariki.
- Look for the box called Search the at the top of the page. Use the down arrow in the box to select Website. Then type 'Matariki' into the search box.
- Find the link called Matariki for kids to read about the Matariki story, what happens during this festival, and some ways to celebrate it.
New Zealand’s national museum also has lots of good information on Matariki.
- Enter 'Matariki' into the search box at the top of the page.
- Click on the link Matariki activity book. Download the book in te reo Māori or English and have fun while you learn.
Tip: Search words, or keywords, are the most important words in our question. Usually it’s better to leave out small words like ‘the’, ‘a’ and ‘of’ and just choose the main ones, e.g [Matariki]. We can always change our keywords or add more if we need to.
Your local or school library may also have some books about Matariki. Check out these titles:
- Seven kites of Matariki by Calico McClintock
- Twinkle Twinkle Matariki by Rebecca Larsen
- The promise of Puanga : helper to the Whānau Matariki by Kirsty Wadsworth
- The Little Kiwi's Matariki by Nikki Slade-Robinson.