Sir Charles Upham (1908 - 1994)
Where can I find information about Sir Charles Upham?
Entry last updated: 23/02/18
Sir Charles Upham was a New Zealand soldier who fought in World War II in Europe and North Africa. He received many awards for bravery, and was the only fighting soldier to be decorated with the Victoria Cross (VC) and Bar (a second VC).
These sites have information about Charles Upham's early life, his war achievements, including winning his Victoria Cross and Bar, and experiences as a prisoner of war.
This is an excellent starting point for all questions about New Zealand Aotearoa.
- Search for your keywords 'Charles Upham'.
- Look under Biographies to find the story of Upham, Charles Hazlitt.
- Go to Te Ara stories to read more about Charles Upham's military career and his bravery awards.
- Select Images and media to find a Roadside Story about his statue located in his home town of Amberley.
This is another reliable New Zealand website with lots of information about New Zealand people and history.
- Go to the People section and select U for 'Upham'.
- Select the page called Upham, Charles Hazlitt.
- This page brings together some different resources, including this in-depth article about Charles Upham.
Tips: These two websites are great for information about New Zealand Aotearoa. They both belong to the Ministry for Culture & Heritage, so the information is well-researched and reliable.
NZEDGE was set up by a New Zealand businessman to celebrate New Zealand culture, innovation and achievement.
- Look down the list of Legends to find the story about Charles Upham.
- If you search the website for Charles Upham you will find a short film called Mark of the Lion.
Tips: Websites that have .com or .co in the address can have good information, but you need to assess how reliable it is. Check the About link on the website, if you can find one. That can tell you what the company’s mission and values are.
Articles, pictures and videos
These sites have newspaper articles and documentaries about Charles Upham, as well as images and interviews.
DigitalNZ is a search site that brings together lots of historical resources about New Zealand topics.
- Search for 'Charles Upham'.
- You can choose to limit results to Images, Audio or Video clips.
There are restrictions on which photos you can freely use because of copyright but there are a lot that are free to use.
This is one of the EPIC resources, a set of reliable databases covering lots of different topics. You may need a password from your school or local library to access it. This overseas site has a mix of different sources.
- Search for 'Charles Upham' to bring up the topic page about him.
- This has magazine and newspaper articles as well as biographies.
Tips: To get to the EPIC resources you will need a password from your school librarian first. Or you can chat with one of our AnyQuestions librarians between 1 and 6pm Monday to Friday and they will help you online. Some EPIC databases may also be available through your public library.
This website includes films and documentaries that have appeared on New Zealand television.
- Choose the search button and enter your keywords.
- Select the documentary you wish to watch.
- In 1985 TVNZ filmed an episode of the popular show This is Your Life - Charles Upham.
There have been a number of books written about Sir Charles Upham. Visit your school library or local library for more information. Some recommended titles are:
- Anzac Heroes by Maria Gill
- Soldier in the Yellow Socks Charles Upham : Our Finest Fighting Soldier by Janice Marriott
- Charles Upham by Kevin Boon.
SCIS no: 1857367