Where can I find facts and information about Ancient Greece?
Entry last updated: 25/05/22
Ancient Greece was one of the most advanced Civilisations of the ancient world. It was made up of city-states which were regions of Greece protected by a main city. Ancient Greek invented philosophy, literature, science, mathematics, the study of history, theatre, the Olympic Games and democracy. They also introduced the alphabet to Europe. The Greeks referred to themselves as Hellenes and their land as Hellas. This entry gives you a list of websites and books related to Ancient Greece.
There are many great websites that you can use to learn about Ancient Greece and the people who lived there. Here are some websites you may find useful.
This is one of the EPIC resources. EPIC is a collection of reliable databases that have some really good information on all sorts of topics including Ancient Greece.
- Login using your school password (or ask a librarian on AnyQuestions).
- Choose the Primary level.
- Type the keyword 'ancient Greece' into the search bar.
- Follow the link for ancient Greece (historic region in Eurasia).
Tips: To get to the EPIC resources you will need a password from your school librarian first. Or you can chat with one of our AnyQuestions librarians between 1 and 6pm Monday to Friday and they will help you online. Some EPIC databases may also be available through your public library.
Topic Explorer is an online tool from the National Library of New Zealand. It contains a wide range of quality resources for students in a range of formats, (eg articles, books, images, videos, primary sources, sets, websites) on a variety of topics. These resources have been selected from reliable national and international sources.
There are two ways to search this site:
- Select the 'Filter by topic, type, or learning area' button and type the keywords 'ancient Greeks'.
- Scroll through the topics on the homepage and select ancient Greeks.
Tips: We like sites like this because they’re reliable. You can tell because of their web address – they have either .govt or .ac, meaning they are from government or educational organisations. They’re also New Zealand sites, so relevant for us.
DKFindOut! has information on a lot of topics including Ancient Rome. This is a fantastic website for primary students as it has great information and lots of interesting pictures.
- Type the keywords 'ancient Greece' into the search bar.
- This will show a list of stories including 'Ancient Greece'.
- Be sure to click the pictures on the map to learn more about everyday life in ancient Greece.
Tips: Many web pages have links to further information or to other recommended sites. Following these links is a great way to find out more. This searching method is called “pearl growing” because you are picking up pieces of sand to make a beautiful pearl!
This site has a range of learning resources that have been designed especially for school students. Although the page has been archived the information about Ancient Greece is still correct.
- Enter the keywords 'Roman Empire' into the search bar, at the top of the page.
- Follow the link for 'Ancient Greece'
- This will bring up a list of stories about the ancient Greeks including 'Who were the ancient Greeks'.
Tips: Websites that have .com or .co in the address can have good information, but you need to assess how reliable it is. Check the About the BBC link on the website. That can tell you what the company’s mission and values are.
This is another website which has great educational resources for students. This site covers a range of subjects including world history.
- Enter the keywords 'ancient Greece' into the search bar. This will bring up a range of articles and videos related to this topic eg Making Greek vases.
There are a number of books and stories that have been written about ancient Greece - check out your local public or school library to see what they have there.
Here are some recommended titles:
Ancient Greece by Peter Ackroyd
If I were a kid in ancient Greece by Lou Waryncia
Daily life in ancient Greece by Lisa M. B. Simons
SCIS no: 1860775
Where can I find facts and information about the Incas?
Where can I find facts and information about the Aztecs?
Where can I find information about the Vikings?
Where can I find facts and information about the Mayans?
Where can I find information about ancient Rome?
Where can I find information about Ancient Egypt?
Discover resources related to Ancient Egypt.
Discover resources related to Ancient Greece.
Discover resources related to Ancient Rome.
Where can I find information about world history?
Wonders of the World
Where can I find information about the Wonders of the World?
Where can I find information about philosophy?
Where can I find information about Ancient China?