Where can I find facts and information about the Aztecs?
Entry last updated: 13/02/23
The Aztecs lived in the 13th to 16th century in Mexico. Their capital was Tenochtitlán. They worshipped many gods, were skilled in arts and crafts and performed human sacrifices. The Spanish conquistadors invaded the Aztec Empire and took the capital in 1521.
Aztec daily life
There are many different areas of Aztec life that can be explored. Here are some suggestions.
Arts and crafts: Like pottery, feather-work, masks, sculptures, statues or jewellery.
Sports and games: The most important game was called Ullamaliztli and involved a rubber ball.
Religion: Aztecs worshipped many gods, including the sun god Huitzilopochtli, and performed human sacrifices.
Architecture: Cities were famous for their arrangement of houses and many temples. The most important building was Templo Mayor.
These websites are good places to start your search.
DK Find Out! has information on a lot of topics and includes a section about the Aztecs. It's especially for primary students and has some fun activities!
- Go to History from the main page.
- Look for the link about the Aztecs.
- Explore the topics to find out more about their beliefs, calendars and what kind of food they ate.
Tips: Websites that have .com or .co in the address can have good information, but you need to assess how reliable it is. Check the About DK link on the website to find out what the company’s mission and values are.
This site has fun facts and answers on lots of different topics. It's run by a non-profit organisation that exists to help children learn.
- Enter the keyword 'Aztec' into the search box.
- Look at the entries on the Aztec Empire and how they honoured their ancestors.
- Some unusual words used in Wonderopolis articles are highlighted. If you move your mouse over or tap on the highlighted word it will open a bubble explaining what the word means.
Tips: Websites that have .org in the address can have good information, but you need to check how reliable it is. Go to the About link to find out what the organisation's mission and values are.
Fact Monster is a kid-safe website that covers a variety of subjects like the world, people, science, math, history and language help. It also has tools such as an atlas, dictionary, encyclopedia etc which are at a primary level.
- Use the search word 'Aztec' in the search bar.
- Select Aztec to get a good overview of the civilisation and the impact of the Spanish Conquest.
- Read the others to know more about Montezuma and what caused the Aztec empire to end.
Tips: Some websites have advertisements (or ads) which ask us to buy something or tell us to 'click here'. It's best to ignore these ads and focus on the information we're looking for.
This education site is easy to read and interesting. It's section on history includes myths, mythology and legends from various civilizations.
- Select History from the home page and look under Ancient History.
- Go to Aztec, Maya, Inca.
- There are links under the heading Aztecs for a timeline or to learn about daily life, mythology, society and more.
- Or look further down the page for a brief description of the Aztecs.
EPIC is a collection of reliable databases covering lots of different topics. It has been put together especially for New Zealand school students and helps to answer questions like this.
This online version of the Encyclopedia Britannica is a reliable website with great information.
- Select Primary and search for 'Aztec'.
- Go to the main Aztec (Native American People) article or explore the ones on different Aztec gods and goddesses.
- Use the Related section to explore more.
Tips: The information is at Reading Level 1 which means it is at a primary level. More information is displayed at Level 2. Choose the '2' at the top of the screen to change the level.
Another EPIC database with reliable information on lots of topics like animals, art, music, health, history and more.
- Go to Browse Topics from the top of the page.
- Look alphabetically down the page to find Aztecs.
- There are lots of cool facts, articles, biographies and pictures covering this topic.
Tips: To get to the EPIC resources you will need a password from your school librarian first. Or you can chat with one of our AnyQuestions librarians between 1 and 6pm Monday to Friday and they will help you online. Some EPIC databases may also be available through your public library.
There are many books written about the Aztecs. Check out your local public library or school library to see what they have.
Some recommended titles are:
- Aztecs by Catriona Clarke and Laura Parker
- Aztec warriors by Marc Clint
- Aztecs: facts, things to make, activities by Ruth Thomson
- Aztecs: dress, eat, write, and play just like the Aztecs by Fiona Macdonald
- Forensic investigations of the Aztecs by James Bow
- How to live like an Aztec priest by John Farndon.
SCIS no: 1850840
Where can I find facts and information about the Incas?
Where can I find information about the Vikings?
Where can I find facts and information about Ancient Greece?
Where can I find facts and information about the Mayans?
Where can I find information about ancient Rome?
Where can I find information about Ancient Egypt?
Discover resources related to Ancient Egypt.
Where can I find information about world history?
Wonders of the World
Where can I find information about the Wonders of the World?
Where can I find information about the Amazon rainforest?
Where can I find information about Ancient China?