Where can I find facts and information about the Aztecs?
Entry last updated: 25/05/22
The Aztecs lived in the 13th to 16th century in Mexico. Their capital was Tenochtitlán. They worshipped many gods, were skilled in arts and crafts and performed human sacrifices. The Spanish conquistadors invaded the Aztec Empire and took the capital in 1521.
Aztec daily life
There are many different areas of Aztec life that can be explored. Here are some suggestions.
Arts and crafts : Like pottery, feather-work, masks, sculptures, statues or jewellery.
Sports and games : The most important game was called Ullamaliztli and involved a rubber ball.
Religion : Aztecs worshipped many gods, including the sun god Huitzilopochtli, and performed human sacrifices.
Architecture : Cities were famous for their arrangement of houses and many temples. The most important building was Templo Mayor.
These websites are good places to start your search.
DKFindOut! has information on a lot of topics and includes a section about the Aztecs. It's especially for primary students and has some fun activities!
- Look at their articles about the Aztecs.
- Explore the topics to find out more about their belief, calendars or what kind of food they ate.
Tips: Websites that have .com or .co in the address can have good information, but you need to assess how reliable it is. Check the About DK link on the website to find out what the company’s mission and values are.
This site has fun facts and answers on lots of different topics. It's by a non-profit organisation that exists to help children learn.
- Enter the keyword 'Aztec' into the search box.
- Look at the top entries to find out how the Aztecs used popcorn and honoured their ancestors.
Some of the unusual words used in Wonderopolis articles are highlighted. If you move your mouse over or tap on the highlighted word it will open a bubble explaining what the word means.
Tips: Websites that have .org in the address can have good information, but you need to check how reliable it is. Go to the ‘about ’ link to find out what the organisation's mission and values are.
Fact Monster has some great facts about the Aztecs, including a timeline that shows when they lived.
- Search for 'Aztec' to find lots of results.
- Choose Timelines from the top menu.
- Follow the link under World History named 1000–1899 A.D to discover when everything happened.
Tips: Some websites have advertisements (or ads) which ask us to buy something or tell us to 'click' here'. It's best to ignore these ads and focus on the information we're looking for.
EPIC is a collection of reliable databases covering lots of different topics. It’s put together especially for New Zealand school students and helps to answer questions like this.
This online version of the Encyclopedia Britannica is a reliable website with great information.
- Select Primary and search for 'Aztec'.
- Go to the main Aztec (Native American People) article, or another article of your choice.
- Use of the Related section to explore more.
Tips: The information is at Reading Level 1 which means it is at a primary level. More information is displayed at Level 2. Choose the '2' at the top of the screen to change the level.
Another EPIC database with reliable information on lots of topics. Search for 'Aztecs' to find articles, biographies or pictures.
- The content level is reflected by a symbol next to the resource. Keep an eye out for green dots.
- Use the 'Search within results' search box to narrow your topic down.
Tips: To get to the EPIC resources you will need a password from your school librarian first. Or you can chat with one of our AnyQuestions librarians between 1 and 6pm Monday to Friday and they will help you online. Some EPIC databases may also be available through your public library.
There are many books written about the Aztecs. Check out your local public library or school library to see what they have.
Some recommended titles are:
- Aztecs by Catriona Clarke
- Aztec warriors by Marc Clint
- Aztecs : facts, things to make, activities by Ruth Thomson
- Aztecs : dress, eat, write, and play just like the Aztecs by Fiona Macdonald
- The Aztecs by Fiona Macdonald
- How to live like an Aztec priest by John Farndo.
SCIS no: 1850840
Where can I find facts and information about the Incas?
Where can I find information about the Vikings?
Where can I find facts and information about Ancient Greece?
Where can I find facts and information about the Mayans?
Where can I find information about ancient Rome?
Where can I find information about Ancient Egypt?
Discover resources related to Ancient Egypt.
Where can I find information about world history?
Wonders of the World
Where can I find information about the Wonders of the World?
Where can I find information about the Amazon rainforest?
Where can I find information about Ancient China?