Where can I find information about volcanoes?
Entry last updated: 8/12/21
Around the world, volcanoes are formed by molten lava pushing through an opening in the earth's crust. In this article we'll look at websites and some books to help you find information about Volcanoes.
There are some great websites with information on volcanoes.
Britannica School is one of the EPIC resources. EPIC is a collection of reliable databases covering lots of different topics. It's put together especially for New Zealand school students. This database can read the articles to you too.
- Search Britannica for 'volcano'.
- Choose the result volcano (geology).
- Select headings like Volcanic Eruptions and Where Volcanoes Form to find out more.
- You can select the play button by each heading to have the information read aloud to you.
- Explore some of their Volcanic images and videos on the left hand side of the page.
Tips: To get to the EPIC resources you will need a password from your school librarian first. Or you can chat with one of our AnyQuestions librarians between 1 and 6pm Monday to Friday and they will help you online. Some EPIC databases may also be available through your public library.
This website has information on a lot of topics including volcanoes. This is a fantastic website for primary students as it has great information and lots of interesting pictures.
- Enter the keyword 'volcano' in the search bar.
- Choose the result What is a Volcano?
Explore taking a quiz, and pictures of famous volcanoes.
Look down the page for Earth.
Then go to Volcanoes.
Select different parts of the picture to find out more like what a volcano is, how they erupt, and different types of volcanoes.
Tips: Websites that have .com or .co in the address can have good information, but you need to assess how reliable it is. Check the About us link on the website, if you can find one. That can tell you what the company’s mission and values are.
Science Learning Hub is a great website, with a lot of information on science topics for New Zealand students.
- Enter the keyword 'volcano' into the search bar.
- Choose the result New Zealand Volcanoes.
- Select icons on the map to look at volcanoes in New Zealand.
Tips: Search words, or keywords, are the most important words in our question. Usually it’s better to leave out small words like ‘the’, ‘a’ and ‘of’ and just choose the main ones, eg volcano. We can always change our keywords or add more if we need to.
Your local or school library may also have some books about volcanoes. Check out these titles:
- Volcano by Robert J Ford.
- Volcano Geo Facts by Izzi Howell.
- Eruption! : Discovering New Zealand volcanoes by Maria Gill.
- Going to the Volcano by Andy Stanton.
SCIS no: 5376048
Natural disasters (NZ)
Where can I find information about natural disasters in New Zealand?
Where can I find information about earthquakes?
Where can I find information about volcanoes in New Zealand?
Volcanoes (Earth sciences)
Discover resources related to volcanoes.