Where can I find facts and information about staying safe on the road?
Entry last updated: 5/07/22
We use roads to walk to school, ride a bike, or travel by car or by bus. Road safety is about knowing and following rules that will keep us safe when we are using a road, or sitting in a car or school bus.
Here are some websites that will help you understand and learn more about road safety.
NZ Transport Agency is the official government website that has all sorts of information and rules relating to the use of the roads and railways in New Zealand. You will also find information on safety.
- Find the link on Safety from the home page.
- Scroll down the page to Keeping children safe.
- Have a look at Road safety tips to teach your children to read about Walking smart, Bike safety, Bus safety and Car safety and more.
Tips: We like sites like this because they’re reliable. You can tell because of their web address – they have either .govt or .ac, meaning they are from government or educational organisations. They’re also New Zealand sites, so relevant for us.
Put together by Peta Daniels who lives in Australia, this website has lots of tips, games and interactives to help children learn about road safety, stranger danger, bullying, pool safety and internet safety.
- Go to Safety Zone and select Road Safety.
- You will find links to safety tips on Bus travel, Pedestrian Crossings, Crossing the Road, Riding Your Bike and how to keep safe when using mobile phones and music players on the road.
- Also, have a look at Stranger Danger on how to take care of yourselves and be aware of strangers when you are out and about on the road.
Tips: Some websites have .au, .nz, .uk or other codes in their url. This can tell you which country this website comes from eg .au is from Australia or .nz is from New Zealand.
This website from the National Library of New Zealand has lots of information on many different topics. The resources have been selected from reliable national and international sources.
- Look down the page to the topic on Safety, then look for Stories.
- Look at the story on Road Safety.
- It has lots of tips on Road safety for pedestrians, Safety on the bike and Auto safety.
- You will also find out why we need to use helmets when riding a bike and seat belts when sitting in a car.
You will find lots of books on road safety in your school library or public library. Here are some titles to help begin your search:
- Being safe on a bike by Honor Head
- Safe in the car by William Decker
- Staying safe on the school bus by Lucia Raatma
- We learn about road safety by Constance Omawumi Kola-Lawal.
SCIS no: 5368744
Hauora - health
Where can I find information about hauora - health and well-being?
Healthy living & eating
Discover resources related to healthy living and eating.
Me, Myself, I
Discover resources related to identity and being yourself.
Discover resources related to being safe around fire, ware, animals, strangers and more.
Where can I find facts and information about staying safe in the sun?