Where can I find facts and information about staying safe in the sun?
Entry last updated: 27/01/23
Keeping safe in the sun is really important in New Zealand. The New Zealand sun can have high levels of ultraviolet (UV) radiation. UV radiation, although invisible, can cause damage to our skin and eyes.
Here are some great websites with tips about keeping safe in the sun.
This website is a good place to learn about keeping safe in the sun.
- Look down the page for the video How to apply sunscreen correctly.
- Then go to the top left-hand side of the page.
- Select the tab for Be SunSmart to learn how to protect your skin and eyes from sun rays.
Tips: Websites that have .org or .net in the address can have good information, but you need to check how reliable it is and who it belongs to. This site does not have an 'About us' link, but if we look to the end of the page we see that it belongs to the Cancer Society of New Zealand.
This site has a special section for kids with lots of information on how to stay healthy and safe.
- Go to the search box in the centre of the screen and enter the keyword 'sun'.
- Read How to Be Safe When You're in the Sun.
- At the top of the page is an option to listen to the page being read or to increase the font size of the words.
Tips: Search words, or keywords, are the most important words in our question. Usually it’s better to leave out small words like ‘the’, ‘a’ and ‘of’ and just choose the main ones, eg 'sun' or 'sun safe'. We can always change our keywords or add more if we need to.
Videos can be a fun way to learn about sun safety.
- Go down the page to find a video called You've Gotta Be SunSmart by Jay Laga'aia.
Tips: YouTube has lots of videos on all sorts of topics and some could be upsetting, so it's a good idea to have an adult you trust with you when you use it.
Your public or school library may have books about sun safety. Check out these titles.
- George the sun safe superstar! by Kathryn Gifford.
- Kapai's sunsmart rules by Uncle Anzac.
- Why do I get sunburn? : and other questions about skin by Angela Royston.
SCIS no. 5414570
Discover resources related to keeping safe in summer.
Where can I find facts and information about staying safe on the road?
Discover resources related to being safe around fire, ware, animals, strangers and more.
Where can I find information about the Sun?
Hauora - health
Where can I find information about hauora - health and well-being?
Healthy living & eating
Discover resources related to healthy living and eating.
Discover resources related to mental health and physical wellbeing.