Where can I find information about Samoa?
Entry last updated: 25/05/23
Samoa is a country made up of nine volcanic islands in the South Pacific Ocean. The largest of these islands is Upolu - home to Samoa’s capital city. An independent nation since 1962, Samoa has close relationships with both Australia and New Zealand.
Facts and pictures
There are some excellent places to look for facts and pictures about the history, people and culture of Samoa.
This reputable news website is a great place to find reliable and up-to-date information.
- Use the search box and enter the name of the island you are interested in eg Samoa.
- Select the result that says Profile, like Samoa country profile.
- You will find some introductory facts for Samoa, as well as some key dates which can be extended to a fuller timeline.
This site is part of the Pacific Virtual Museum pilot project funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Australia and put together by the National Library of New Zealand and the National Library of Australia.
- Look down the page to Explore locations.
- Choose Samoa.
- You can use Filter by and Media Type to only look at images, objects, videos, or audio.
Tips: Websites that have .org or .net in the address can have good information, but you need to assess how reliable it is. Check the About us link on the website, if you can find one. That can tell you what the organisation’s mission and values are.
These websites help us to explore daily life in Samoa including history, culture, food and beliefs.
This is one of the EPIC resources, a collection of reliable databases covering lots of different topics.
- Choose the Primary level and put in your keyword 'Samoa'.
- This will bring up the Samoa entry which covers the geography, plants and animals, people and culture, and economy.
- Try the Images & Videos and Related tabs to find more information.
Tips: To get to the EPIC resources you will need a password from your school librarian first. Or you can chat with one of our AnyQuestions librarians between 1 and 6pm Monday to Friday and they will help you online. Some EPIC databases may also be available through your public library.
Topic Explorer is an online tool from the National Library of New Zealand. It contains a wide range of quality resources in a range of formats (eg articles, books, images, videos, primary sources, sets, websites), on a variety of topics including Samoa.
- Enter the keyword 'Samoa' into the search bar to find the topic set on Samoa.
New Zealand and Samoa
New Zealand has a strong connection with Samoa. Here are some websites to help you find more information about New Zealand's relationship with Samoa.
Te Ara: The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Although this is an excellent starting point for all questions about New Zealand Aotearoa, you will also find useful information relating to Samoans in New Zealand. If we scroll down to the bottom of the page we can see that the website belongs to the Ministry for Culture & Heritage, so the information is well-researched and reliable.
- Go to Stories and find the letter S.
- Select Samoans.
You can choose from a number of topics here, and remember to look at the External links and sources for other suggested resources.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade - Manatū Aorere
This site will help with understanding about New Zealand's relationship with the Pacific Islands.
- Select Countries ®ions.
- Choose Australia and Pacific.
- Select Samoa.
Tips: We like sites like these because they’re reliable. You can tell because of their web address – they have either .govt or .ac, meaning they are from government or educational organisations. They’re also New Zealand sites, so relevant for us.
These books will give you more information on Samoa.
- Samoa by Carmel Reilly.
- Samoan Heroes by David Riley.
- Rarotonga, Samoa and Tonga by Brett Atkinson, Charles Rawlings-Way and Tamara Sheward.
SCIS no: 1896450
Pacific Islands: Samoa
Discover resources related to Samoa.
Where can I find information about the Pacific Islands?
Where can I find information about Tonga?
Where can I find information about Vanuatu?
Where can I find information about Kiribati?
Reo, 'Ōlelo, Gagana (Pacific Languages)
Disover resources related to pacific langauges.
Countries of the world
Where can I find information about the different countries in the world?
Pacific Islands: 21st Century
Discover resources related to issues facing the Pacific Islands in the 21st century.
Discover resources related to Pacific culture, history and geography.